
Okay, so I find this a bit amusing. . . I am not a largely patriotic person. I know my American history well, I am moved by the men and women who have fought and died for our nation. I love and hate things about this place, but don't generally run around with large flags in my yard, or red, white, and blue hats donned for the annual celebration. However, for some reason I love a good 4th party. We never had them growing up, so I don't know where the drive comes from, but for most of our marriage we have attempted to throw some kind of event. I remember the first one in KY-- we had been there for almost a year, but had a hard start and so it was just us and the Chaneys (memories....) I remember one in Arkansas where some fireworks ended up shooting the wrong direction and a trash can was almost ignited. But this year takes the cake. . .
I invited several groups of people that we love (know that I usually do this and end up with 5-20 people), had many more replies than expected and offered to host a Latino group of 20 (they were at IHOP for a conference and wanted to join the fun of an american cookout on the 4th). Anyway, when it was all said and done I had close to 80 people at my house last night. It was a fabulous party, there was food enough brought for everyone, the slip-n-slide was again a hit, and Benjamin made it all the way to midnight! A special thanks to my peeps for helping in the kitchen- that was totally awesome! Thanks Tricia, Sarah, Melissa, Melissa, Melanie, Rachel, and Lizzy. . . . (i think that was everyone). At midnight when I put Benjamin to bed it was such an amazing thing to be able to go to bed myself! I love you all and our celebration may look different next year, but we should still have one! Here's some pics.
Whoa!
ReplyDelete