Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fall and the Generations. . .

A year ago my grandmother died.  She was and is an amazing woman.  She buried two husbands- both with a piece of her heart.  She taught me all I know about wild flowers and birds (though I wish I had learned more about the latter!)  She also taught me much about prayer.  The necessity of it.  The return to it.  The transforming power of it- both in our own hearts and those of whom we are praying for. I think of her daily and the things we talked about.  When she went to be with Jesus, I took her computer.  It was old, heavy, and fairly inefficient.  But it was hers.  And it was a treasure.  Well, this month I was given another computer- still big and old, but slightly more efficient.  :)  So we decided it was time.  For a year I have been logging in as Robbye Bland, opening Internet Explorer to cox.net homepage, and having her log-in come up.  I know, silliness.  It doesn't really matter, and yet for some reason I couldn't bear to change it.  But with the addition of the new, the old had to go.  The computer had to be reformatted.  It would no longer claim to be Robbye Bland.  And though I realize full well that she is beyond blessed and peaceful now, it was momentarily hard. 

 And while I am on that thought, the same week the middle born and I had a conversation.  We were headed to school one morning and I was telling him to look for different color leaves outside.  It's been a beautiful fall.  Anyway, as we were looking I mentioned to him that his Papa's daddy used to love the leaves.  I was telling him that when I was a little girl, he would take a trip in the fall, just to get to see them.  And then, when he went to be with Jesus, it was fall time.  And the leaves were beautiful.  The next day we were back in the van, and the second chief told the whole story to the first-born.  Yes, amazingly enough he was listening.  :)

Anyway, I have been filled with gratitude today.  Gratitude that the Lord placed before me such a testimony of belief.  A line and heritage of faith.  Prayers prayed over my children 60plus years ago.  For generations the Lord has been building himself into my family, and I am humbled to be a part of it.  Humbled to continue the process.  SO, here's to remembering there is more to life than THIS life.  I am blessed beyond measure, I have hope for His return and the saints who will come with him. 


Psalm 127:3 Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, the fruit of the womb a reward.
 

Psalm 145:13 Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The LORD is faithful to all his promises and loving toward all he has made.

1 comment:

  1. Such truth and beauty in these thoughts. I LOVE it. Thank you for sharing and YAY for just a handful of days until I get to give you a hug. :)

    ReplyDelete