I think it started here.

I know, she's only just barely 2. But seriously, she was showing all the signs. So we did all the whoohaa, got the big girl panties, got the treats, got out the potty, had an awesome potty party (if you ask me!), and began the process. After about 12 hours (the second day), we weren't any closer and suddenly she began flipping out about all kinds of things. Throwing any open container she could find on the floor, hitting her brothers, throwing toys, running away from me when called, and CLEARLY not going pee on the potty. Not for any amount of chocolate.
So, as any clear minded individual would do, I walked outside and declared to my working husband that HIS daughter was back in diapers and I was leaving for a break. :)
Fortunately, I am married to an amazing man and he gave me a chance to talk to Jesus. I was so baffled, and couldn't figure out why I was so upset with her. And in that moment the Lord spoke to me. He reminded me of who He is. How he is slow to anger, and abounding in love.
And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness" Exodus 34:6
And then he taught me about my daughter. He reminded me of how verbal she is. Seriously ya'll, she can talk like the boys could at 3. It's amazing-- and somewhere in my mind I had decided that she was as old as she was verbal. That if she could tell me as much as she could, then she should definitely be pooping on the potty. And not spilling drinks. And not throwing toys. And not running away when called.
Today, I pulled the toddler seat back to the table, strapped her in for lunch and felt peace reign. I knew the Lord was kind and gentle in his reminder. And now I feel like I can be as well. I can love her with passion and peace. And in diapers. ;)
"We will not hide them from their children; we will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the LORD, his power, and the wonders he has done. . . . so the next generation would know them, even the children yet to be born, and they in turn would tell their children. Then they would put their trust in God and would not forget his deeds but would keep his commands." Psalm 78:4,6-7
Such a great post! So thankful for grace in the midst of parenting. Because its a hard job, man. Haha! Let's get together soon for that coffee we talked about earlier :-)
ReplyDeleteHahahaha! I am sitting here at my lunch break, loving every word of this!!!! There is so much of my beautiful friend Lydia's super fun personality, so much truth, so much "yep...uh huh... amen..." thoughts in my own momma heart. So fun. Love it and love you, Lyd!!! Good job momma and thank you Jesus for your patience and abounding love. :)
ReplyDeleteI can SO relate to this! I don't know how the Lord does it, how He loves us so. The more I see my lack in parenting, the more I'm astounded by His nature. And yes, I too, love my son best in diapers. =) For now.
ReplyDeleteYOU are a good momma! I want to be like my big sister when I grow up! : )
ReplyDelete