Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Watch out David Beckham!




So we have participated in our first team sport. What fun! It's called Bitty Soccer, we met 6 times over three weeks, we had 2 practices, 1 scrimmage, and 3 games. Then it's over! Not too much and just enough. I must admit I was a very proud mother. John and I watched as Benjamin kicked harder and with better aim than any of the others! (Well, maybe.) As we were walking out I was talking to another mother and we were debating this question. I want to pose it to all of you all out there and see what you think and what your experience has taught you. In life, I want him to learn to do things with excellence. To play to the best of his abilities, to not take advantage of the opportunity he has been afforded, and to grow in his skills and abilities. He really does have some athletic ability. I also want him to gain from team experiences, learning from others, and working together, depending on others. How do you balance that with love and humility? I want to encourage him but not push him. Challenge him but not stress him out. I don't want to be "that mom." You know? Anyway, we couldn't come to any valuable conclusions, so if you have any ideas let me know. Oh to raise sons in the 21st century. . . .

4 comments:

  1. That is 7 kinds of awesome. Well done, Benjamin!

    I don't think playing to the best of your abilities and humility and love are mutually exclusive on the playing field. Professional and college sports, like the culture around it, has largely degenerated into a mess of winning at all costs and an overt disrespect and disdain for one's opponent.

    Benjamin can show Jesus' light on the soccer field by playing to the best of his abilities WHILE loving his opponent. The art of good sportsmanship is so lost in today's culture that someone who does that (like Benjamin will do) can be a GREAT witness to the fallen world around him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know this is kind of crazy, but I'm so proud of him that I'm kind of getting teary-eyed at this big boy running with the ball in a soccer jersey.

    And don't worry about being "that mom." I don't think you'll ever be "that mom."

    And kudos to my husband for the comment. I totally agree- marrying playing with excellence with love for your opponent will be an awesome thing. If anyone knows the culture of sports, it's Jack Chaney.
    :)

    GO BENJAMIN!!!! Your Candace loves you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't let him quit "gymnastics" even when he is good! he will regret it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the fact that you are aware of That Mom lets me know that you'll never be That Mom. :)

    How amazing that Ben's so big.

    You're question made me remember watching a kids soccer game last year. When one of the boys was going after the ball he knocked down another kid. He turned around, helped that kid up, then kept right on running after the ball. He was giving all he was worth and still caring for others. It was amazing to see & I remember discussing it with my kids as soon as it happened.

    ReplyDelete