Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Musings from the Prayer Room, Part 1

Okay, so this is now the third series that I have started in the world of blogging. I hope this one has more success than the previous two. I won't go through the messy details, but neither of the first attempts ever made it to part 2. Anyway, I have seen someone else do this and I thought it was a great idea. The thought is that while I am in the prayer room, the Lord is speaking to my heart, showing me things, and moving in me to pray for all kinds of things. I figured what a better way to share about what happens up here, than by sharing some of my heart and experiences.

Picture this, this morning we all headed down the street to the prayer room. Me and the boys, and we took with us Katrina and Kinsey (see this post for sweet Kinsey) and our friend Andrew. Anyway, we all arrived close to 10:30 and stayed until almost 11:30! (a vast improvement from the last trip with both boys and one mommy) Beside the point, as I was watching Benjamin stare at the drums and play along in the air, Samuel fell asleep in my arms and we all headed back to our seats, conveniently located in the back of the room. Benjamin was content to color in his coloring book for a bit, but then wanted to go back up front and see the drums again. Since I was now firmly planted with a child asleep in my lap, I sent him to our dear friend Chad and they watched the drums together.

Two things suddenly happened. First, the worship leader began to sing the following chorus "I put on my garments of vengeance, I wrap myself in zeal as a cloak. I'm going to war. I'm going to war, says the Lord." At first glance, I was upset by this song. This view of the Lord. The picture of the heavenly Father, in all his loving kindness, going to war against humanity. Then like a lightening bolt, it hit me. It is because of his loving kindness that he is going to war. I don't really understand what it looks like for someone to love me enough that they would be willing to fight and die for me. In a generation that has not experienced a "traditional" war, I only see it as a horrible, pride-filled event that causes pain and suffering. But this morning my heart was moved to pray for those I know who long to see Jesus and the Father as ones who will FIGHT for our hearts. We don't really know what it is like to have someone really fight FOR us. Most of the time it is shrouded in some kind of selfish ambition, gain, or world dominion. Not just for us and our hearts. May we know this zeal of the Lord in a new and exciting way.

Secondly, when Benjamin and Chad came back from drum watching, Chad told me that Benjamin had been praying as he was watching when they were talking about East Asia (a specific country that we talk about, but due to the sensitive nature, I can't actually say where). Benjamin told Chad that he was praying for Bright, his friend. You see, our dear friends have left for East Asia this past weekend and we have been talking about where they are and what they are doing. He had heard the people on stage praying for that place and those people, and he in his own way, began to intercede for his friend Bright to be able to share the gospel. The chorus we were singing was, "Open up a door, open up a window. Make a way for your word to go forth." So as we prayed this morning,

"Lord Jesus, hold the Rupp family. Make a door, make a window for the power of the gospel to be spread in East Asia. Use ALL of them to testify to the only Living God, raised from the dead and coming back to fight for his people. That all in your city may know the depth to which we are loved, the width to which you search for us, and the power with which you will save us from all that is evil, all that is pain, and all that is death. May Bright testify to the light of the word. May Daniel and Kayla rest in your plan and your provisi0n, may Zion make his namesake known and may your name be glorified."

We love you Rupps, we are with you and thinking of you- can't wait to hear from you!

3 comments:

  1. Good stuff, friend. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. powerful stuff sister. I'm kinda speechless. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I join with you and the prayer team in interceding on behalf of the Rupp family!

    ReplyDelete