Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Sending Part 2

For the first part of this post, I feel I must send you to my dear friend Candace's post. She sometimes can say the same things I have thought but just better. I wanted to piece on some other thoughts about our wonderful weekend in the woods with 9 babies (Benjamin being the oldest) and 8 adults on a campsite for two nights in tents. As we made the treck home, we stopped way too many times and Samuel threw up everything he had eaten 10 miles from the house. We stopped one more time, cleaned it all out, and finished the adventure (Thank the Lord that Benjamin didn't puke as well, since he was sitting perilously close at the time!). As we pulled into the driveway, it was close to bedtime, we had babies to bathe and put to bed, a car that still stunk of puke, stuff to be unloaded, and a bed calling our names as well. My mind was completely focused on the tasks at hand. We all know how I can get when it comes to finishing a list of tasks! Nonetheless, someone stopped me and asked how it went. In passing I said, "It was miserable in practicality, but absolutely wonderful for the soul." As I have thought more over the last several days, I am more and more sure of it. No matter how difficult it may be, no matter how long we have to go or how crazy the conditions, I will always treasure my time with the Chaneys, Harpers, and Rupps. They are precious souls that the Lord has united our hearts with and this weekend was simply another lesson in the amazing thing called fellowship.

I think the 1st century church had something that most of us are missing. We struggle and strive and do all kinds of things in the name of fellowship, but when the Holy Spirit knits hearts together, you don't have to force anything. You will struggle against forces to encounter it. You will fight for it, not willing to miss a moment. It's not something to be orchestrated or planned, it simply happens and is the most beautiful thing I have encountered. It is rare. I am forever grateful to the Lord for what he has done. I long for the next encounter, knowing it will be better than the rest.

"May they(the believers) be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." Matthew 17:23

3 comments:

  1. hey lydia! i linked to your blog through leah's...just wanted to say hi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts, friend. Can't wait until next time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was so confused by the second picture. my thoughts "is anyone holding their own baby?, why is candace wearing a fleece jacket in 105 degree weather? i'm so confused, oh wait that's benjamin, and this was probably not taken this year...."

    oh and i'm glad you have good friends. it really is a must and a blessing!

    ReplyDelete