Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Fellowship of the Believers, Part 2

Okay, so tonight may not be as profound as last, but I had a thought today. We had a impromptu birthday celebration for Daddy Miller (Tim) who has been staying with us. I would show pics of the apple pie with candles, but since there are 4 babies asleep in this house right now, there is a real possibility that the cord required to retrieve the pictures off the camera and put them on the computer is in a room with a sleeping baby. Thus, the picture you see before you is from the restaurant chosen by the birthday boy and attended by the family. As all 8 of us sat around a picnic like table enjoying the wonderful bbq and talking about the last week I said the following, "Good food is better when enjoyed with good people." Doesn't it feel like that?? Even on a totally shallow level, if the "atmosphere" of a restaurant is no good, then we don't go back. But I think there is something more here, the physical meal is more satisfying when enjoyed with people who's hearts you are connected to. I have had more dinners than I can count where over the table our hearts have become united and as time passed we either became better cooks, OR the food just became better. Is it a "super" natural (as some would like to say) bettering of food by the Lord, or is it simply just a dynamic that the early church knew about. Connect with other believers on a deep level and other areas of our hearts and lives will be affected as well. Eat on my dear friends! But only that you may know Him better :)

1 comment:

  1. So true my friend. Makes me think of all the meals we shared back in Kentucky around your tile-topped table, sharing our hearts and our struggles and our victories. Delicious dishes like your mini-meatloaves, Candace's tetrazzini, and Korrie's mashed potatoes with caramelized onions tasted even better when paired with true fellowship and genuine, life-long love. We miss breaking bread with you, dear friends. We miss it so much.

    ReplyDelete