Okay, so I know. There are a lot of people who never watch TV. We are not that family. And thought I have a thousand conversations a week about HOW MUCH tv we are going to watch, and though it is a battle that I have thought long and hard about throwing the whole thing out the window-- we have had a BLAST watching the Olympics. There is something very innate in my boys that causes them to love the competition. In our hallway they LOVE to race. Whatever means by which they can do it. We get out the world map and talk about where all the competitors are from. We even watched figure skating. (not last night though and I am terribly sorry to have missed the american win!) We have also enjoyed watching our boys mesmerized by the men's halfpipe and the really fast downhill women's race. We even saw some curling one afternoon and though Benjamin kept asking me the rules, I couldn't for the life of me explain why they were doing the odd things they were doing. I couldn't even tell him who was getting points for what and how one country won and another lost. ANYWAY, all that to say it's been a fun week with more to come I am sure.
What got me thinking about it again, was Kelly Clark last night on the women's snowboard half pipe. I missed it then, but saw it this morning on the Today show- she was singing to the Lord before she went down. Loudly, for all to hear. Unashamedly. My friend Candace did an amazing post about her a few weeks back, you should totally check it out here. Then today I read someone else's thoughts about the same woman. Her heart for the Lord is infectious. She shares her testimony in such an open and genuine way that I can't wait to know her when Jesus returns. She is a testimony for the real gospel in a place where man is exalted above all in the spirit of competition. Lord, I want to live in such a way that you are exalted all around me- no matter what the other messages are, no matter what it sounds like, no matter how it is received. I want to be a voice in the midst of darkness that shares your heart for the lost.
Awesome! My boys have enjoyed some of the Olympics too. Oliver (4) was sliding around the kitchen the other day with race tracks under his feet and upside down swords(ski poles) in his hands. He was ski jumping which in his eyes is really a flying competition!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! We have LOVED the Olympics, too, and watching Kelly Clark made me smile. It's also way cool that she was listening to "Fling Wide" on her bronze medal run. That's totally what I've been listening to at the gym and it's great to get your heart going. Fun, fun stuff!
ReplyDelete