I don't know if you remember from last year, but we LOVE Easter around here. This year was no different. Our day started with the reading of the Resurrection- the women running, the empty grave, the doubting Thomas, and Jesus telling the disciples to "Go therefore. . . " Then we rummaged through the mass sugar of the baskets, we went to church, and came home for the Easter egg hunting.
The boys had a blast, and when we opened the sugar-filled eggs, we also found small strips of paper. We assembled the strips and had another rendition of the "hope to which we have been called."
Then we had some of the students come over who have no families locally, and we ate turkey to our hearts content. Of course, following that we had to have some Resurrection Cake. Seriously, I think this is my favorite of all the traditions. Watching Jesus come up from the cake/grave is really cool! :)
(I can't get the video to upload, so you'll just have to enjoy last years rendition! So sorry!)
Anyway, after cake everyone had a seat in the living room and we watched the Gospel of John movie. I helped clean up the kitchen (props and HUGE thanks to Chad) and then sat outside in the sun for a few minutes. I was sitting and thinking on the day. Not the silly parts, not the sugar, but the reality that for 2 millenia the believing church has been celebrating such a reality. I wanted so desperately to sing an old school hymn, but at church's like ours we don't often sing hymns. One of our favorite leaders was there and unbeknownst to the rest of his team, he belted out. . . . "Christ the Lord has risen today, al-le-lu-ia!" Seriously, I started to cry. I know, John looked at me like I was crazy. But really, I was thinking about it this afternoon, and though none of us know all of the answers, as believers we have set our hope on the promises of the everlasting Father. We have joined into a story that is so much bigger than our own lives, something that has been and will always be. Something that does not change with the momentary whims of my heart.
"One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, 12 and that you, O Lord, are loving." Psalm 62:11-12
I can't help but shed tears while singing Resurrection hymns on Easter Sunday...I brought kleenex this year!
ReplyDeleteThe camera (and photographer!) are taking some great pics too!
Great pics indeed! And I SO wanted to do a Resurrection cake this year. It's one of my favorite Harrigan creations!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLovely post. That hymn is one of my very favorites. I think it's the a-a-a-a-a-le-lu-ah part. I also love glo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ria at Christmastime :)
ReplyDelete