So, I've been having all these thoughts about community living- what it looks like, what is bad about it, what is good. Lots of thoughts. I don't think there is any particular formula. We've had a family stay with us for three months (upstairs in the top of our house!)-- it worked for us, but I don't recommend that formula as a general plan. Not enough space, too many kids. ;) Love you people though, you know who I mean. Anyway, we have an okay system worked out here. One rule I believe in firmly is doors. Everyone has to have a door to close. Even though large families in Africa live all in a one room hut- doesn't mean that us westerners should be able to do the same. We have too much baggage for such a thing. However, if you have some good doors to close, you will have significantly more success than if not.
ANYWAY, this past weekend we went up to MN to see some dear friends (mentioned above) who were living in a house with another family. They had their ups and downs, as everyone does, but we got to witness firsthand one of the beautiful parts of community. They cooked together, cleaned together, payed rent together, and most importantly, prayed together. They had scheduled times of prayer and worship set into their weekly schedule- 3-4 times a week. And whether it was just the adults, or all 5 kids as well, it was a beautiful thing. To sit in simplicity, one guitar, one hand drum, worshipping and praying to the Creator of the universe. Putting love and repentance at the forefront, and then choosing to spend hours in prayer for the lost around them. The neighborhood kids, the local churches and their outreaches, the large Somali population that gathered at a nearby mall. Either way, it was so beautiful in it's simplicity. Every voice could be heard, but no one was particularly amazing. There was humility and genuine desire to love God and one another. No one had any special training, and yet the seminarian and the 5-year old worshiped the same God. So, as I was awed by what the Father was doing, the light was just right and I snapped a few shots. They were just as beautiful as I thought the whole situation was.
 |
| Little mamas. . . ever mothering. |
 |
| Daddies. . . ever leading. |
 |
| Little girls . . . ever dancing. |
Acts 2:42-44 "They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common."
BEAUTIFUL words and BEAUTIFUL pictures! You are on a bloggy frenzy and I love it!!! :)
ReplyDelete