So, for those of you who have been asking- and for those of you who didn't realize you were on this train- and for those of you who may not ever ask for something like this- let me tell you about adoption. Let me tell you about the Lord. Let me tell you about our story. The one that is being written at this moment- I have no idea the outcome (I have my hopes). I have no idea the time frame (though I have a possible plan). I have no idea about the money required (though I am fervently praying). All I can tell you is the story that is being written in our hearts.
Ever since the youngest came into our home over 2 years ago, we knew we would adopt again. It must be why you see those families with like a jillion kids- all of them different colors. You do it once and you realize how it is sooooo worth it. Anyway, we knew that the Lord had at least one more out there that belonged in our family. We weren't complete. So we prayed. Fervently for the last 6 months. I have asked everyone who offered- pray for our little girl- we don't know where she is, but we know we have to go get her. The world was on the table. Stateside? Sure, we know how to do that one. Africa? Sure- loads of orphans there. SE Asia? Again, yes lots of babies needing homes. But Lord, where is OUR daughter? For months we asked, with no answer. And then one morning I woke up with a picture in my mind. Clear as day. (And if you've ever been around me in the morning, you know the miracle this is that I didn't miss it all together!) I wish I could find this place and take a picture. Words will never do it justice.
It was a valley with mountains on either side. Not mean, rocky kind of mountains. Just much bigger than hills- but peaceful. It was lush, as green as Northern Ireland in the early summer. The valley was covered with this beautiful plant called Lily of the Valley. It's a small, vividly green, leafy plant, with small white flowers that spreads wherever you plant it. Incredibly fragrant when in bloom. I breathed in and could smell it deeply. The valley was overflowing with flowers. Immediately I knew I was in China. And as I was looking at all the flowers, one of them raised up higher than the rest. The Lord spoke to my heart and said, "It's time to go get your Lily."
I sat up in bed faster than lightening. Was I dreaming? Had he spoken?? Was that really him?? LILY???? Was that her name?? Before I could think there were two little boys in bed with me and it was time to get up and get ready for school. I tried with all my might to remember every detail possible- exactly as I had seen it. Exactly as I had heard. Even now, I close my eyes and can see it again. I got everyone ready for school and in the van in a bit of a blur.
At this point, I am completely ready to do it. No questions asked. Of course, I still have to talk to the chief, but I'm ready. I drop the kids off and sit down at my computer and this pops up on the screen.
| http://rupplife.blogspot.com/2012/09/guangdong-girls.html |
And here we are. Huge stack of papers sitting on my kitchen table. The first major step in adoption. Filling out papers. I am working to remember that all babies must be fought for. Life, even in my own womb was fought for. I immediately began taking vitamins, drinking extra water, trying not to hurl every half hour, and sleeping extra. And I cannot do those things for my Lily right now. So instead, we will fill out papers. We will go to doctors and get physicals. We will get fingerprinted and interviewed. We will fight for her- and someday I will tell her of the lillies in the field- and how fiercely she was loved from the very start."Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!"
Luke 12:27-28
Goosebumps.
ReplyDeleteSeriously.
xxoo
Even though I know the story, I loved hearing it again. Yay for LIFE. Yay for the Harrigans. And ultimately yay for God. I love it that you partner with him so wholeheartedly. It makes all the difference in you friend.
ReplyDeleteTotally awesome. I CAN"T WAIT TO WATCH THE STORY UNFOLD!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWe are friends with a family who've adopted 3 from China, one named Lily. And hope to adopt from there one day as well. Congrats, hang in there, love you guys!
ReplyDeleteI can't breathe because I'm crying!!! Gosh, how I'm thankful just to know you.
ReplyDeleteI am so grateful that God has given you such a clear mindset about adoption. I am grateful that you are going first, because I fully intend to use you as a resource in years to come.
But mostly I am glad that God is speaking so clearly to you and John about your Lily.