Well, I know, two posts in two days. It's a bit much, but I couldn't help but posting about the two easter egg hunts in two days. It has been so much fun, but has gotten me thinking as well. You see, growing up we always had easter egg hunts at church. Everyone would put on their pretty, new easter dresses (our family usually matched at some level, and if digital pictures had been around longer, I would show you one of my faves). Inevitably there would be a hunt at the church. There still is one at Central, though it might be changing as well, but I went to a good old church hunt today and it was fun. I was reminded of the value of tradition. I know that sometimes it can be totally devoid of any meaning, but sometimes traditions can push us to seek out the meaning. To find it and see why for generations people have done it. I go to a church that is wonderful, but oftentimes lacking in tradition. We do new things really well, and I love it. However, we don't sing many hymns, recite many group prayers, or hold to just about anything traditional. We sure don't have easter egg hunts. So, in a strange way, today was refreshing. It was a reminder that though the traditions may not make all that much sense and while they may seem trivial, they push us to find meaning, to seek out what may not be so obvious, and beneath it all, to see a Saviour who loves us and is longing to show us the power of a resurrected God. Thanks be to God!
Living life with this little family, learning how to love God wholly, love people fully, leaning on the cross completely, while awaiting His return.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Easter Fun
Well, I know, two posts in two days. It's a bit much, but I couldn't help but posting about the two easter egg hunts in two days. It has been so much fun, but has gotten me thinking as well. You see, growing up we always had easter egg hunts at church. Everyone would put on their pretty, new easter dresses (our family usually matched at some level, and if digital pictures had been around longer, I would show you one of my faves). Inevitably there would be a hunt at the church. There still is one at Central, though it might be changing as well, but I went to a good old church hunt today and it was fun. I was reminded of the value of tradition. I know that sometimes it can be totally devoid of any meaning, but sometimes traditions can push us to seek out the meaning. To find it and see why for generations people have done it. I go to a church that is wonderful, but oftentimes lacking in tradition. We do new things really well, and I love it. However, we don't sing many hymns, recite many group prayers, or hold to just about anything traditional. We sure don't have easter egg hunts. So, in a strange way, today was refreshing. It was a reminder that though the traditions may not make all that much sense and while they may seem trivial, they push us to find meaning, to seek out what may not be so obvious, and beneath it all, to see a Saviour who loves us and is longing to show us the power of a resurrected God. Thanks be to God!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
so proud!
ReplyDeleteLove it!
ReplyDelete